Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Personal Taste and Tradition: Two Worlds Colliding

I've been looking for the perfect song to play when I'm walking down the aisle.  I love the sound of the traditional music but I really wanted something a bit more modern.  I'm not really a formal, traditional person so it's hard to find an appropriate balance between the whole "this is the only wedding I'll ever have so it better be good" mentality and the "I want my personality and taste to be clear in all the details" mentality.

As with most people who are planning weddings, my fiance is not my first boyfriend.  I've been on both the giving and receiving end of the pain that comes with ending relationships.  This thing that I have with my FI is real.  It's amazing and I'm so excited to start this next chapter of our lives together and leave behind my past.  So I was looking for a song that really spoke to my history and our relationship, without being too cheesy.  Which, in the world of love songs, is a difficult task. 

The first song that came to mind is probably not one that anyone would ever guess.  When we first started dating, we used to just sit and be together while we listened to music, just enjoying each other's company.  A band that made an often appearance in this time together was Snow Patrol.  So the song, Chasing Cars, has a lot of really fond memories for both of us.  If you aren't familiar, take a listen.  Just a quick disclaimer: I don't own this video or the music contained with in.  I'm just sharing it with you all!


As much as I love me some Snow Patrol, it doesn't scream wedding ceremony to me.  So I moved on to other songs that might be a bit more appropriate.  I had pretty much settled on God Bless the Broken Road by Selah.  I know Rascal Flatts has a very popular version of this song but the Selah version sounds so much less country and so much more wedding appropriate.  Take a listen.  Again, I don't own the music, video, pictures, or anything contained in this video. 


I still love this song because I think it really speaks to our relationship.  But I will say that I would be quite a different person today had I not dealt with (and dealt out) the heartache in past relationships.  It made me who I am today and brought me straight to my mister.  I am thankful for all of the pain I endured over the years because I'm finally with the right person.  Sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince.

A few weeks ago I was browsing through songs on youtube because there was still something that just wasn't right about our ceremony music.  I felt like the lyrics of the song were perfect but it just wasn't.. perfect.  I stumbled upon an instrumental cover of a popular song.  The band performing the cover was Vitamin String Quartet.  They do a TON of covers of popular songs and I love the idea of instrumental music in our ceremony.  And so I was on a mission to find the perfect song that they'd covered.  After making a list of about 8 songs that I'd be happy with I stumbled upon this.


You can't even begin to imagine my excitement when I found this song.  So guess what folks?  This is it!  This is the song that I'll walk down the aisle to.  It's the last song I'll hear as a single person.  And you know what?  It's perfect.
 

1 comment:

  1. I love both of those songs but the instrumental version is beautiful and an excellent choice!

    ReplyDelete