Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Just Say No

All kinds of controversial topics come up when you start planning a wedding.  Pretty much anything is fair game, and people feel free to ask questions that, at any other time, would be completely inappropriate.  Personally, I think they are still inappropriate, but since I've been asked some of these questions on multiple occasions, I'm guessing others would disagree. 

Last week, I was walking down the hall at work with a friend and she mentioned in passing that we should definitely have a prenup.  I did a double-take as the conversation went on.  It went a little something like this: 

Friend:  You should definitely have a prenup.
Me:  Umm.. what?
Friend:  It's so important, I personaly wouldn't get married without one.  I'm definitely going to have one. 
Me:  Oh. 
Friend:  Are you going to have one?
Me:  Well, no.  We're not. 
Friend:  Really?!?  Why not?  I can't imagine not having one. 
Me:  Well, in my opinion, if you have one, you are walking down the aisle with the expectation that your marriage won't last. 
Friend:  Well, I understand what you're saying, but I just would feel so much better having one.

Now, this friend is single, which doesn't mean she doesn't know what she wants for her future, but she's a long way away from having this discussion or making this decision with her actual future spouse.  I know that a lot of people choose to have a prenup, and I'm not saying one way is better than the other.  I'm just saying that, for us, it's not happening.  I know, I know.  No one walks down the aisle expecting that the marriage won't last, and in reality, only about 50% of them actually do.  It makes sense to protect yourselves in the event that it happens.  But I don't want to start off our marriage on that foot.  I want us to go into this knowing that we'll be together forever and we'll never need to carry out the terms of a prenuptial agreement.  Besides, the only thing we'd be protecting is our debt since we've both been in school most of our lives, so it's not exactly like we have family fortunes to protect.  Our marriage is going from each of use being in the red to the two of us being even more in the red.  Not exactly something worth protecting. 

So, anyway, when it comes to a prenup, we're of the "Just say No" opinion.  Thoughts? 

4 comments:

  1. We're in the "we don't have any real assets, just debt" boat so I feel like it would just be stupid to get a prenup. I hate when people try to shove advice down your throat though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent... its going just as I planned... mwhaa ha ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're ridiculous... but I love you anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the way your friend was talking..I would assume that she just has a lot of assets that she feels she needs to protect, or children or something like that. But at this stage in me and my fiance's life...we really wouldn't be "protecting" anything since we're pretty much in the same boat too. so we're not having one as well

    ReplyDelete