Monday, January 31, 2011

A Color Conundrum

I love color.  As much as I think the whole black look is chic and sophisticated, a brightly colored bag or shoes really adds a lot to a Little Black Dress. 




It's a gorgeous look!  I knew right from the start that I had to have color in my wedding.  I loved the brightly colored bouquets I saw splashed all over the internet on wedding websites like these.




I think they just add so much fun and flavor to the wedding.  But it turned out to be a really tough choice on which colors to choose!  I kind of set myself on blue dresses for the bridesmaids because I wanted them to a) have a dress they'd have a chance of wearing again, and b) wear a color they'd have a chance of actually looking good in.  Also, the mister told me that the guys would strongly prefer to not wear anything "girly" on our big day.  So no purples, pinks... or anything in that family.  Red is a little too bold for me to have in the dresses and cumberbunds.  There aren't a whole lot of flowers in green and it offers me no color.  Blue works with most other colors.  So this is where I settled.  I think dark blues, grays, blacks, etc. look good on most people so I set on a navy blue or slate blue for the dresses. 

So my first idea was to do a color palette of blue dresses with red and orange. 


But the pink in this photo isn't exactly what I was going for.  Let me just say that my colors changed at least four times before they settled on the current color scheme.  I really like the look of blue and orange so that was my next idea. 




After bouncing back and forth from color scheme to color scheme with any variation you can think of in the list of blue, purple, orange, yellow, and green, one conversation with my level-headed mother set me back on the right track.  It went a little something like this.

Me:  So I'm thinking of slate blue dresses now with orange and red flowers.
MamaBean:  You need something that will pop against those colors.
Me:  The whole color scheme pops.  Why do I need one to pop?  I can't have too many colors.  Three is more than enough.
MamaBean: Let me ask you a question.  Why are you set on blue dresses?
Me: Well... K doesn't want the guys in anything girly.  I'd love to do brown or purple dresses, but the bridesmaids don't like brown and the guys won't wear purple cumberbunds.  Besides, brown and black don't go well together.  Navy blue is an option, but it's too dark with black... (I continued to ramble until I was stopped.)
MamaBean:  Coffeebean.  Why don't you just have the girls in purple dresses like you want, and have the guys in champagne cumberbunds?  It still goes with your theme, makes the guys happy and the girls happy.  You can do a purple flower in the boutonniere. 
Me:  Oh. (long pause).....  That could work. 


And so, my mom saves the day... yet again.  Are you ready to see our color scheme?  It's for real.  Actually been set for... about 1 1/2 months now.  It's a record! 

Here we go...


Eggplant




Burnt Orange





Apple Green


I love our color scheme.  It's so unique and unexpected.  Adds so much color to our day.  A beautiful thing.  The ladies will be in eggplant and the flowers will be a combination of the colors.  With a pop of apple green.  Here are some inspiration boards I found and loved, just to give you an idea.  







 
I love the look of calla lillies in the bouquet, but my florist tells me they are quite pricey, so we'll have to see if they'll make an appearance on our wedding day.  It surprised me that I had such a hard time choosing our color scheme!  I still see pictures of some fall themed weddings that make me swoon and think that I might want to rethink our colors.  Don't worry, I won't!  But it's tempting! 

2 comments:

  1. grandmabean absolutely agrees with mammabean and coffeebean....luv the eggplant and apple green combo...luv luv luv it!

    ReplyDelete