Saturday, April 16, 2011

My Bling

As I was looking back over all of my posts today I realized that I have yet to tell you guys about my ring.  Shame on me. 

I told you all how he proposed.  I'm still amazed by his creativity on that front, but don't get me started talking about that again.  I'll never stop!  So anyway, I showed you the ring that he proposed with as well, but the story doesn't end there.  Here it is again for those of you who don't want to stalk all of my old blog posts to find it. 


This ring isn't just any ring.  It's special.  Not that they aren't all special, but this one was K's grandmother's wedding ring.  The symbolism of this still warms my heart.  During the proposal he said he knew we'd have to work with the ring because I'm not a yellow gold kinda girl.  And he was right.

So, soon after we climbed back down stone mountain, we started brainstorming. 

We came up with a lot of options:  making it into a necklace, taking out the diamonds and using them in a new ring, melting it down and using it to make my ring.  But after all of this discussion, I just wasn't happy with any of these options.  I felt like to do any of these things would destroy the ring and I wanted to keep it as close to the original as possible.  So after doing some research, I learned that I could get it rhodium plated to make it appear white, but it would still be the same exact ring underneath.  Perfect.  

So I took it to a reputable jeweler here in Atlanta and talked to them about my plan.  I also wanted to get the setting swapped out for something a little more modern with a little less metal.  The center diamond is gorgeous and the setting just wasn't doing it justice.  So after discussing my options, we came up with a plan and I left my ring with them.  

For the coming weeks, I waited on bated breath for the phone call.  Finally, I got the call!!  Let me tell you, when she handed me the ring, I couldn't contain my joy.  They did such a great job with it.  It still looked like the same ring, but with a makeover.  Perfect. 


Ready??







I know what you're all thinking.  I'm not wearing it on my ring finger!  Well, that's a story for another day.  But this ring is currently gracing the middle finger of my right hand.  I'm so so glad that we decided to keep the ring as close to it's original state as possible. 

But wait!  I haven't told you all the coolest part about this whole thing.  You probably noticed that there is considerably less gold in the "renovated" ring.  Well, they returned the gold to me to use for a future project and I can't wait to tell you all what we decided to do with it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment