Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Scanning Silliness

I think I'm going to drive my fiance crazy.  I'm learning that this whole wedding planning thing is much more difficult and time-consuming than I ever thought it would be.  See, I am a planner.  I like to do things WAY in advance, do them, and get them done and out of the way.  This annoys people.  I'm well aware. 

This weekend we went to register at Bed, Bath and Beyond, our 2nd scanning adventure.  We got there around 11 AM on Saturday and got started around 11:30.  The gadget wall is initimidating.  I mean, how many different meat tenderizers do they really need to sell?  Honestly. 

Well, after about 2 hours, I realized that I was starving so we had to break for lunch.  We were only about halfway through the store, and were about to get deep into bedding, which I knew would take awhile.  I think K would have been happy leaving and coming back another day.  But, not me.  I wanted to get it done and over with.  So, after our lunch break, we came back to BB&B and continued scanning.  We spent quite awhile walking through the bedding department, deciding what we wanted our rooms to look like and how we would do the two beds. 

You want to see one of them?  It looks a lot like this:



What do you think?  Not too girly, but it's still fun. 

So we made it cleanly through the bedding department and that's where things started to go downhill.  We hit the bath department and... well... see for yourself. 


We got a little silly.


And sillier.... I really liked the beach ball pillow!! 




 Oh... well..  this one.  I just.. 



Kitty!!  

<ahem>  Well, we had fun.  Don't worry, I didn't register for the cat.  It was quickly vetoed. 

Anyway, so I would highly recommend BB&B.  We had a great experience with the people there, they were extremely helpful and knowledgeable, without being pushy.  And they really went to great lengths to make sure we got everything we needed.  Two thumbs up.  Five stars.  A perfect 10. 


Here's some suggestions/tips for those of you who haven't gone through this process yet:

1.  If you are registering at more than one place, register for EVERYTHING you might possibly want at the first place.  Even if you don't find the perfect silverware at place #1, scan one you'd be happy with.  That way, when you go to place #2, you can compare to what you chose at the first place and you have the names and the price so you can later compare.  You can always take things off later.  And I'd rather go online in my pajamas on the couch and delete things than have to go back to the store to scan more items. 

2.  Take into account the return policy.  Some places have a terrible return policy (i.e. - no returns without a receipt at Target), and that will really matter later when someone gets you something off the registry and forgets to tell the cashier... you get the picture. 

3.  If you have a color scheme in mind based on colors you already have, bring in a paint swatch that's close.  Or, if you can't do that, head to the towel room and choose the towel that's closest in color to the color of the rugs/walls/couch etc. you are trying to match.  Carry it around with you when you're making your decisions.

4.  When you're registering for sheet sets, remember that they usually only come with 1 set of pillowcases so register for extra pillowcases! 

5.  Bring a registry checklist with you so you can keep track of what you've registered for and what you still need.  Obviously some things won't apply to you (i.e. - a garden hose when you live in an apartment complex), but you can be sure you won't forget anything.

6.  Try to diversify your registry with various price points.  Big items that you think no one will buy for you, may be purchased as a group gift.  And small things are nice for people who don't have a big budget, but still want to get something for you off your registry.

7.  Don't let the salespeople tell you that you need something you don't need.  We had a saleswoman at Macy's insist that we needed to buy wine glasses to match the crystal glasses we registered for.  We told her we already had wine glasses that would look fine with it, but she insisted we should match everything.  Fine for her, not for us. 

8.  Compromise.  You'll both have to live with these things so try to find a happy medium. 

9.  Lastly, have fun!!  Be silly.  Don't fight over registry items.  It's just stuff. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, that cat-thing is dreadful! Great tips! The saleslady at Macy's drove us crazy too--she kept yelling at me because I didn't want her damn clipboard with the checklist (we already knew what we wanted to register for).

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have enough cats!Besides, you can't cuddle with that one.

    ReplyDelete