Friday, April 22, 2011

To Veil or Not to Veil?

I have a confession to make.  And it's a doozy.  I hope you're all sitting down.  Here goes...



I never really imagined or had any details planned for my future wedding day before.. well, before now.  I know, shocker, right?  All I hear from all of these vendors is that we should make this the day that I've been dreaming about since I was 5.  Umm, no.  Thanks though.

So this confession brings us to my question.  To veil or not to veil?  Since I've never really imagined myself as a bride, I can't really even picture myself in a dress.  Even the pictures of me in dresses don't really help.  I know, I'm weird. 

I know I don't want anything like this: 




The whole veil covering my face thing is just not me.  It kind reminds me of a burka, which isn't an image I want to be conjuring up on my wedding day. 

I've also seen a lot of brides who are looking for these long cathedral veils, like this:



Well, as gorgeous as this is on this bride, and many others I've seen, it's also not really me.  So if I do go the veil route, I probably won't be wearing a very long veil.

Of course, this is all going to depend on how I wear my hair.  And seeing as I'm still in the hairspiration stage and not really ready for a full trial, it could be awhile til this matter is resolved. 

I think I know why I'm having such an issue with this.  You want to hear my theory?  Well, I'm really not good at being the center of attention.  I feel awkward about it.  This whole center of everyone's attention thing for a whole day scares the bejeezus out of me.  And the whole white dress and veil thing just makes me stand out even more.  I know it's my one time to have everyone fawn over me but you know, I'm just not the "pay attention to me" type. 

In the interest of full disclosure, I did already buy a veil.  But I'm having second thoughts about wearing it.  Because I just love the simplicity of pictures like this:


What do you guys think?  What did you or are you planning to wear in your hair?  

1 comment:

  1. I thought a veil made me look like a child bride, and I nixed it immediately. I also kept thinking of a "burqa". I think you need to do what makes you happy and DON'T let stupid comments like 'you're not a bride without a veil!" get to you.

    ReplyDelete